The Senate of the International Slavic University is a governing body and an expert body comprised of representatives from the university units, associate members, and the university student assembly. A member of the Senate can be a person elected as the teaching-scientific, teaching-professional, scientific or teaching title and a full-time student of ISU at the time of election.
A member of the Senate can’t be a person elected as Dean or Vice-Dean. The members of the Senate are elected by the ISU’s units and associate members by secret ballot by the members of the teaching-scientific, or teaching or scientific council for a period of three years, with the right to one re-election. By exception, the University Student Assembly elects student representatives to the Senate by secret ballot for one year without the right to re-election.
In the Senate, each ISU unit has two representatives. The Rector and Vice-Rectors are members of the Senate by position, without the right to participate in decision-making and without the right to be elected as Presidents of the Senate.
Students have two representatives in the Senate of ISU. The convocation and operation of the Senate are regulated more closely by the Senate Rules of Procedure in accordance with the Statute of ISU and the Law on Higher Education.
Members of the ISU Senate, by direct and secret ballot, elect the Academic Councils of the faculties, and the students – the Student Parliament with a term of three years with the right to be re-elected. Members of the ISU Senate, representatives of the university units, may be nominated by the members of the teaching-scientific councils of the ISU units, elected by the presence of more than half of the members of the Teaching and Scientific Councils, by winning the most votes from those present.
Members of the Student Senate may be nominated by the members of the Student Parliament, elected by the presence of more than half of the Student Parliament members, with the majority of the votes cast.
A member of the Senate of the University representative from the ISU unit may be dismissed upon his/her request for obstruction in performing his/her higher education activity, retirement or termination of employment. The termination of the mandate upon his request shall be decided by the University Senate by secret ballot, with the presence of 2/3 of the members of the Senate, by a majority vote of those present.
A student member of the Senate may be dismissed upon his/her request for disciplinary dismissal and termination of his/her student status. The termination of the mandate upon his request shall be decided by the Senate of the University by secret ballot, with the presence of 2/3 of the members of the University Senate, by a majority vote of those present.
The procedure for the election of members of the Senate begins at least 60 days before the expiry of the term of office of the existing Senate. The procedure is initiated by the Rector, who convenes and chairs the constituent session of the new Senate.
Members of the Senate at International Slavic University:
- Asst. Prof. Zhivko Mitrevski, PhD -Faculty of Law
- Prof. Sasho Manasov, PhD – Faculty of Computer Science
- Asst. Prof. Goran Bidjovski, PhD- Faculty of Computer Science
- Asst. Prof. Slobodan Bundalevski, PhD – Faculty of Safety Engineering
- Asst. Prof. Lidija Burevska, PhD – Faculty of Safety Engineering
- Prof. Pavlina Stojanovska, PhD – Faculty of Economics and Organization of Entrepreneurship
- Prof. Anita Risteska, PhD – Faculty of Psychology
- Asst. Prof. Sasho Kochankovski, PhD- Faculty of Psychology
- Ivana Hristovska – Student
- Adriano Panajotov – Student
Responsibilities of the Senate
- Adopts the Statute of the University and approves the Statutes of the Units in its composition;
- decides on teaching, science, art and higher education (applied) activities;
- adopts the study programs of the faculties, that is, the higher vocational schools and the scientific institutes within it that perform higher education activities in accordance with the Law on Higher Education;
- proposes to the National Higher Education Council the bases on which tuition fees are to be determined;
- decides on the establishment and termination of internal organizational units, organizations and companies;
- decides on status changes in accordance with the Law on Higher Education;
- establishes an opinion on the cessation of the need for the existence of 37 designated units of the University and on their transformation;
- adopts an annual and three-year program for the development and operation of the University;
- gives its opinion and submits proposals to the Higher Education Program and gives its opinion on the annual program for development of its units;
- gives opinion and submits proposals to the national program for scientific and research activity of the Republic of North Macedonia;
- adopts the annual report on the work of the University, submitted by the Rector;
- adopts the annual financial plan of ISU;
- adopts annual financial statement and annual financial statement of ISU;
- adopts the investment program of ISU;
- decides upon an appeal against a decision on appeal by a person who has not been elected even in the existing position, according to Article 165 of the Law on Higher Education;
- decides on the award of the honorary doctorate of science (doctor honoris causa), the title of honorary professor of ISU (professor honoris causa) and the title of professor emeritus;
- elects a university election commission;
- decides to confirm the suspension of the Dean, i.e., Director of the ISU unit;
- confirms the election of the Dean or Director of the ISU units;
- provides the opinion of the National Council for Higher Education on the norms and standards for the establishment of higher education institutions and for the performance of higher education activities;
- adopts a rule book on the special conditions and procedure for election to teaching-scientific, teaching-professional, scientific, teaching and associate titles;
- adopts rule books on the conditions, criteria and rules for enrollment and study of the three study cycles;
- adopts a rule book on the single credit transfer system and the transfer from one study program to another;
- adopts a rule book on the issuance of diplomas, diploma supplement, vocational or scientific title and other documents for completed studies in higher education and on the conditions and procedure for revocation of the diploma;
- adopts a rule book on the manner in which professional-administrative matters of common interest to the units of the University are performed;
- adopts a rule book on organizing the publishing activity and decides on the publishing activity;
- adopts a program for international cooperation;
- establishes the working duties of the employees and establishes principles for the regulation of the working relations of the employees who are performing higher education, scientific and artistic activities;
- on the proposal of the Rector, elects and dismisses the Secretary General of ISU;
- establishes a self-evaluation committee of the ISU and elects its members;
- adopts the Guidelines for the self-evaluation and quality assurance and evaluation of ISU and its units in accordance with the rule book on standards and the procedure for self-evaluation and external evaluation adopted by the National Council for Higher Education;
- adopts the rules of procedure of the Senate;
- takes measures to promote and protect the standard of students and staff;
- elects the President of the Senate;
- passes a general act regulating the work of the career center of ISU;
- adopts a general act setting out the conditions for enrollment in study programs for persons who have not completed an equivalent education abroad;
- adopts a general act that prescribes possible ways of checking students’ knowledge;
- elects the acting rector in accordance with the Law on Higher Education;
- from among the full professors of the University, elects an authorized person to receive reports of corruption;
- adopts a general act regulating the work and monthly remuneration of the person authorized to receive reports of corruption;
- at the proposal of the university student assembly, elects a student ombudsman;
- adopt a program for the provision of technology and/or adaptation of the teaching space to enable access to higher education for persons with disabilities; and
- performs other activities determined by the Law on Higher Education and the Statute of the International Slavic University.
Senate Decision Making
The Senate may decide if more than half of the total number of members of the Senate are present at the meeting and decide by a majority vote of the members present, unless otherwise provided by the Law on Higher Education.
The Senate may decide on the election of university bodies and the election of the President of the Senate if at least 2/3 of the total number of Senate members are present and decide by a majority of the members present.
President of the Senate
The President of the Senate at International Slavic University is Pavlina Stojanova, PhD.
The President of the Senate is elected from among the Senators by secret ballot for one year, with the right to one more re-election.
The President of the Senate convenes the Senate sessions, proposes the agenda and chairs the Senate sessions. The President of the Senate convenes a Senate meeting at least once a month.
The President of the Senate shall, at the request of at least one fifth of the members of the Senate, or at the request of the Rector, convene a session of the Senate.
The President of the Senate is responsible for the legality and statutory nature of the work of the Senate. The term of office of the President of the Senate is incompatible with the performance of any other state office or function in a political party.
A proposal for the presidency of the Senate may be submitted by any member of the Senate. The election of a Senate President requires 2/3 of the total number of Senate members. The candidate who wins the most votes from the present members of the University Senate is elected President.